Team away days hold such promise, yet often deliver so little. Have you found that? If so, here are 9 team away day ideas; an action plan that help you create a more worthwhile team awaydays. Better for your firm, better for you and you can help your team to deliver what you want.
These 9 points will help you whether you’re planning the sort of day where you take the team outdoors, or are simply having an off site meeting to improve the way things work. The points are based on analysing hundreds of team events.
Your action list of team away day ideas
- Objectives: Be absolutely clear what the objectives are, in terms of a measurable business outcome. Why do they need bringing together? What/ how will the business gain? How will we know we achieved the objectives? It sounds obvious, but be sure to tell people what the objectives are.
- Not just fun: Use the event to achieve your objectives. Fun sessions are great, but link them to the work sessions.
- Buy In: If the team think they won’t be given the go ahead on their ideas, they won’t bother creating them. If there are other board members, get them involved or at least signal their buy in.
- Design: If you have people that have “done it all before” they will need something fresh or more interesting. They will also appreciate the day being efficient by achieving the objectives in the shortest time possible.
- Congruence: If you want the team to come up with new ways of working, being closer as a team, behaving differently, etc; try to start “walking the talk” before the event (and continuing afterwards). At least ensure that they can’t think that you are being hypocritical when you ask something of them.
- Pre-work: Doing some work before the day really helps. Plan how you can get people thinking before the event.
- Facilitators: Choose the people that will manage discussion and activities. Credibility and skills are important, but also how well they fit with the group. An external facilitator could be a good investment, but you may not need one.
- Follow-up: How are you going to show the team what the output was, what is going to be done (and not done) and when. Show the progress in the following weeks/ months. Ensure they see how their ideas have helped them/ your firm.
What team away day ideas have well for your team days? I’d love to hear.